October Skal at the Parkman House
Thanks to Tony Nunziante and the City of Boston for hosting the October Skal meeting at the Parkman House.
More than half of our membership enjoyed this special evening reception that was catered by Gourmet Caterers and where musicians from the Longy School of Music performed, courtesy of the Cambridge Office for Tourism.
The Parkman House is a Greek revival house on Beach Hill constructed in 1825 by architect Cornelius Coolidge, a protege of Charles Bullfinch. The house was purchased in 1853 by the widow and two sons of Dr. George Parkman, a wealthy physician/businessman who was murdered and dismembered by John White Webster, a professor at Harvard Medical College. The case is generally regarded as the nation’s first celebrity crime, attracting worldwide attention. When the remaining heir died in 1908, the house was left to the City of Boston, along with an endowment for the maintenance of city Parks. Fittingly, the Parkman House served as headquarters for the city’s Parks Department for more than 60 years until the office was moved to the new Boston City Hall in 1969.
The Parkman House was restored to its original splendor by Mayor Kevin H. White to coincide with the U.S. Bicentennial in 1976. One of the first guests to visit the restored house was Queen Elisabeth II. In subsequent years, the historic house has served as a venue for receptions for distinguished Bostonians and high profile visitors, including several heads of state. The Parkman House, which was restored again by Mayor Thomas M. Menino in 1993, is also often the site where important civic matters are discussed and significant milestones are marked.